numatics controllers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

numatics controllers

Post by mswebbHHB on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Our brewhouse is equipped with a touch screen control based on an "automation direct" panel system. We've had a few modules fail and they've been replaced under warranty. I'm getting more familiar with the inner workings of said panel.

One area that is now causing us problems is the "numatics" modules that run the air actuated butterfly valves and steam jacket valves. We have 3 dual zone controllers which have failed and I have been forced to replace some controlled valves with manual valves and reroute air from other systems to drive our steam jackets. I'll be working with our supplier and the manufacturer to troubleshoot/replace.  

Does anyone online here have any familiarity with the Asco Numatics line of valve controllers?

Can anyone recommend a good, quiet compressor to feed air to a brewhouse. Air required for condensate return to steam boiler and 6 actuated valve loads. For reference, we've been using a California Air Tools compressor which is very quiet but isn't up to the 24 hour demand cycle.

mswebbHHB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: numatics controllers

Post by eallured on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't have a suggestion for your failed air bank acutators, though I know you can find Automation Direct licensed technicians through their website that may be able to help you in situ.

We have a DV systems air compressor that is great, but definitely not cheap.They have a head office in Barrie, so they are easy to reach and quick to get spare parts if need be. We are less than one year old, so we haven't needed anything yet.

eallured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mswebbHHB on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks for the recommendation on the compressor. How is the noise level? Do you have a dryer system attached?

We've had the manifold reviewed by the ASCO and it seems that excessive moisture is the issue; leads to corrosion on the control switches which are too small to clean/repair. We will be adding a dryer system to get this under control. Lesson learned.

mswebbHHB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eallured on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am

Really quiet, for an air compressor. It has a screw compressor rather than piston, so it is a smooth fan noise rather than the pumping you usually get from a compressor. It also produces pretty dry air just from the compressor, but we do have a dryer to take it all the way. Definitely should have a dryer if you are powering pneumatic parts or they will fail for sure.

eallured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top