Adding coffee to the FV

Go down

Adding coffee to the FV

Post by Whitewater Sean on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 am

Hey All,

I am toying with brewing a beer with coffee in it. As I've never made a coffee beer on a large scale can anyone give me some tips as to dosage rates and process? More or less what has worked for you and how your results were.
Whitewater Sean

View user profile http://whitewaterbeer.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Adding coffee to the FV

Post by TBAvery on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:04 pm

When we brew our coffee vanilla porter, we put 5 lbs of coarse-crushed coffee into a 5-gallon bucket with cold water and seal it up. It cold brews overnight (or 24 hours) to make a concentrate and we just toss that into the brite tank before transfer. This is for a 15 hL batch.
TBAvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitewater Sean on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks! That's a good start. Do you find the 5lbs gets you a light, medium or strong coffee flavour? Also you say you dump the cold steep mixture into the BBT. Do you leave it on the beer for "x" amount of time or just the day before package? And do you add the mixture before filling to mix it in or just pour on top?
Whitewater Sean

View user profile http://whitewaterbeer.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by TBAvery on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

We get a medium/strong flavour with 5lbs (I'm having a sip right now), especially the aroma, but not overpowering either way. Keep in mind it's paired with a solid grist bill and vanilla, so without those it might be a little much. We dump the mixture in the brite just before we transfer, then it's packaged as soon as it's carbed (24 hrs-ish).
TBAvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down